Wednesday, June 30, 2010

TV Meme Day 30: And thus we come to our end

4seeingred

Day 30 - Saddest character death

BTVS Season 5: “Seeing Red” – Tara is shot

I don’t think there is another option. There has been no death on any show that hurt as much as this loss, including Anya in the finale and Doyle in Season 1 of Angel.

Joss cocked the Fuck With The Fans gun by including Amber Benson in the opening credits for this episode. Those of us who were stupid enough to be spoiled by this were pretty much horrified that he would do that to us, but the truth is, it’s such a Joss thing to do it’s not even funny.

After struggling through the majority of the season with Tara being a background character, there mostly to torture Crack!Magic Willow, they finally got back together! YAY! Bliss! Peace! Happiness! Relationship normality for our characters!

All episode they were lovey dovey and sweet. Fuck the censors, fuck the parent council. They kissed. They macked. There was nakedness under red sheets, normally reserved on Whedon shows for the hetero couples, finally claimed by the only normal couple we’ve had.

And then they’re clothed, and there’s belt loop tugging and yay, Buffy and Xander will make up.

“Your shirt.”

Joss has said no one cries like Alyson Hannigan, and he’s so right. Sarah Michelle Gellar is an incredible crier, as is Amy Acker. But neither one of them holds a candle to Aly. And when she sobbed over Tara’s dead body, I don’t think there was a fan who didn’t feel it in their soul.

Hands down, dollars to donuts. Best worst death ever.

If it was eligible, I would love to have said Shepherd Book from Serenity. It’s a television character, but he died in the movie, so he doesn’t get to be included. But for the dialogue between Mal and Book alone, it deserves an honorable mention.

Mal: I look to be bored by many more sermons before you slip. Just don't move.
Book: Can't order me around, boy. I'm not one of your crew.
Mal: Yes, you are.

Wash’s death was shocking and horrifying and sad, but it was fast and in the moment. This was painful, and we felt it.

This is the final TV Meme entry. In the past month, I doubled my entries. And it was SO much fun. I’m kind of sad it’s over.

Someone find me another meme!

4 comments:

  1. I didn't pick this death, because I just knew you were going to do it. Plus for me, I was less sad during the moment and more "WTF? WTF? WTF?" angry shocked and all of the above.

    But I totally hear you about having fun with this meme and now needing something else. Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to find a 30 day movie meme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added a question 31: Moment that made you cheer the loudest (if you wanna play.... and now I'm considering creaing a 30 day movie meme...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://sortathatguy.blogspot.com/2010/07/versatile-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete