Monday, June 14, 2010

TV Meme Day 14 - I'd like to test that theory

Day 14 - Favorite male character

I can answer this for almost all of my BTVS friends, and maybe a few non-BTVS friends. And I think my choice isn't what most people would expect. Or maybe they would, and I don't know myself as well as others do.

When I first started watching BTVS, it was because of Seth Green, and David Boreanaz in his leather pants. And I loved Oz, and Angelus, very much. And I loved Spike like crazy until Season 6.

But Angel got whiny as HELL. And Spike became so whipped I wanted to hurl things at the TV whenever he appeared. And Oz left.

But my love for Giles never stopped. From the first episode I watched purposefully and on, he was mine. Wonderfully stiff and British, gorgeous, and with just the right amount of character to make you wonder what was under all the tweed.

I caught up on Seasons 1 and 2 in the middle of Season 5, but I'd read all of the episode guides and read quotes and seen images. One of the episodes I wanted to see the most was The Dark Age. Giles as a human being, not just as a watcher. And I wasn't let down at all. I still love watching that episode, and seeing Giles break for the first time.

Giles is the father figure of this group, and he is fallible. He plays the role so beautifully, with the stern looks and fierce protectiveness. I could give countless examples of him being the adult, but isn't it funner when he wasn't so adult? I mean...can we discuss Band Candy?

And then he left. And you know what happens when Giles leaves Sunnydale?

The goddamn world explodes.

His reappearance was the single greatest moment of Season 6 that didn't occur in Once More With Feeling. And I was spoiled for it, but I wasn't prepared for how he was coming in, and I screamed and screeched with delight.

Rupert Giles is the greatest male character on any TV show. If you've given a different answer, I call bullshit.

I can't find the video I want. However, this one will do.

1 comment:

  1. Aw! I was hoping you were going to do OZ so I wouldn't feel bad NOT writing about him. Sigh. Maybe next month (or whenever) we should have a Buffy Blog-a-Thon where we talk about our top 3 favorite characters or something...

    ReplyDelete