Saturday, June 26, 2010

TV Meme Day 26: OMG WTF BBQ

Day 26 | OMG WTF? Season finale

Mad Men, Season 1, "The Wheel"

I may be biased on this answer, because I'm currently watching the commentary for Season 3 of Mad Men.

I started watching the show because Vincent Kartheiser and Christina Hendricks were both on the show. I didn't know any of the other actors, and was prepared to fast foward past all parts that didn't involve the two.

Oh, how surprising THAT one was.

What an insanely fantastic show, from episode one on. Beautiful cast, incredible wardrobe and set design, sharp writing. I really can't say enough about the show.

I wondered if I should pick this finale, because all three of the finales so far have been jaw-dropping with edge-of-your-seat cliffhangers. But this was the original, and this was the one that really knocked me on my ass and made me long for the next season.

I don't know what's wrong with me that I didn't see Peggy was pregnant. I legitimitally did not see that she'd gained that much weight, and didn't see the warning signs. Why? I'm a dumbass. That's the only excuse I can offer.

But the two big plot lines exploded in the finale. Don's cheating was revealed, causing him to be alone at the end of the episode, with the audience not knowing the fate of the marriage. He'd discovered his brother was dead, and we got that incredibly moving scene with the Kodak Carousel.

And Peggy, who'd finally gotten recognition and a modicum of respect from Don at the office, popped out a kid. She didn't know she was pregnant, I didn't know she was pregnant, I hope OTHER people might've missed it, as well, and that I'm not just an idiot.

When the credits rolled, I squealed with indignation. And looked forward immensely to the next season. And at the end of that season, I squealed with indignation and couldn't wait for the next. And at the end of the last season?

Yeah. July 25th cannot come fast enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment