Thursday, August 26, 2010

Movie Meme Day 26 - Do what?

31 Day Movie Meme

Day 26 - Freakishly weird movie ending

I’m still extremely confused by the ending of Lost Highway. In fact, I’m extremely confused by the movie in general.

This movie came out in 1997. I rented it solely because Marilyn Manson was in it. Let’s just throw the skeleton from the closet right now, I used to be a huge Marilyn Manson fan. I still enjoy the music (pre Mechanical Animals, anyway), but I’m not quite as hardcore as I was then. And to be fair, I wasn’t all that hardcore then, either. No black lipstick and goth gear.

But I was so excited to see this. I mean, the cast on this film. Bill Pullman, Patricia Arquette, Henry Rollins, Robert Blake. These are pretty big names in one movie.

I’d never seen a David Lynch project before this, but I heard he likes to create mind fuckers. So I was very interested.

I watched the movie several times over. And I still don’t understand what the hell it’s about.

One of the summaries from IMDB states:

Fred Madison, a saxophonist, is accused under mysterious circumstances of murdering his wife Renee. On death row, he inexplicably morphs into a young man named Pete Dayton, leading a completely different life. When Pete is released, his and Fred's paths begin to cross in a surreal, suspenseful web of intrigue, orchestrated by a shady gangster boss named Dick Laurent.

Have you seen the movie? That helps exactly none.

Needless to say, the ending to the film resolves nothing. NO.THING. Whatsoever. “Dick Laurent is dead.” Great! We’ve come full circle. What the fuck does THAT MEAN?!

I think the only way to understand this film is to kidnap David Lynch, hog tie him, and force him to sit next to you and explain it, piece by piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment