Wednesday, March 5, 2014

It’s a bittersweet symphony, this life

 

sarah-michelle-gellar-and-cruel-intentions-gallery

“You were very much in love with her. And you're still in love with her. But it amused me to make you ashamed of it. You gave up on the first person you ever loved because I threatened your reputation. Don't you get it? You're just a toy, Sebastian. A little toy I like to play with. And now you've completely blown it with her. I think it's the saddest thing I've ever heard.

So, I assume you've come here to make arrangements. But unfortunately, I don't fuck losers.”

Fifteen years ago, I was a junior in high school. My sister and I decided to go to the movies together. She wanted to see The Rage: Carrie 2. I, being a brand new fan of a television show called Buffy the Vampire Slayer, was dying to see Cruel Intentions.

We saw both.

We both agreed my taste was, at least in the moment, impeccable.

In fifteen years, this movie has never once been bumped from my top five list. I’ve watched it repeatedly, sometimes multiple times in one sitting. After it came out on VHS (yes, I said VHS), I brought it with me to sleepovers and made friends watch and fall in love with these amazing characters.

              

Sebastian, the damaged bad boy you couldn’t help but love. Celeste, who I think we were supposed to root for, but whose torture I could never get enough of. Ronald, the poor shmuck who got caught in the tangled cluster fuck that was Sebastian versus Catherine. The soundtrack, which is flawless.

I cared little for Annette. She was a goody two shoes, better than thou pretentious twit. But the scene where she makes faces in the car and makes Sebastian laugh was a regular rewind scene that always cracked me up.

And there was Catherine.

Catherine Merteuil. Ice princess. All around Queen Bitch. And I loved her desperately. I loved her at her best, and I worshipped her at her worst. I wanted her life. Her ice blue bedroom, her impeccable wardrobe.

That crucifix.

This movie will never get old for me. And if seeing it in theaters fifteen years ago makes me old, I’m good with it.

Peace out.

(Gifs from Fuck Yeah, Cruel Intentions on Tumblr)

1 comment:

  1. YYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSS. Love this movie to death. Always and forever.

    ReplyDelete